Thursday, November 30, 2006


Our resident vampire at work guilted me into giving blood this morning.

I knew it was mistake. A body fed a steady diet of coffee and beer mixed with exercise is not designed for bloodletting. Generally I have trouble filling the bag before time expires. Today my blood didn't even make it to the bag before they had to start digging the needle around in my arm. After 20 minutes the bag was only about a quarter full despite my steady squeezing of the stress ball provided. Not soon thereafter it clotted completely inside the needle (the phlebotomist showed it to me).

This all resulted in a lengthy lecture from the phlebotomist on the importance of hydrating your system for blood donations and circulatory health. Apparently 2 pots of coffee a day is not sufficient to hydrate.

Four pints of water later I'm visiting the bathroom at 15 minute intervals. I think this is an improvement. At least walking to the bathroom so often adverts deep leg thrombosis.


Meag said...

Did I ever tell you about the time I tried to give blood? About half way through I informed the nurse that I was hearing a buzzing noise and feeling very warm. The promptly tossed my chair back into a reclining position, told me to wiggle my toes and try to cough (???) and squeezed the contents of a wet sponge all over me. I felt better after some cookies and juice. Apparently it helps if you eat lunch first... But now I do not weigh enough to give blood anymore, so my "bloodletting" days are over for now.

Anonymous said...

I have a similar story. When the lady asked where it hurt after I started vocalizing and whining, I yelled "all over." That was not the answer she was looking for. My entire body was feeling the 'pins and needles' and they broke 4 icepaks for me to place everywhere. My bloodletting days are over too unless an extreme emergency. But after all that pain and uncomfort, they did get the full bag because I wasn't going to go through all of this not to have the blood go somewhere. I didn't sleep at all that night because my legs were numb. -kmw